The Krause Center of Innovation is like a Bay Area GeoDome for teacher professional learning on the campus of Foothill College in Los Altos, Ca. You can do ANYTHING there! They are the creators of one of the great joys of my whole year: MERIT! #meritkci
MERIT stands for Making Education Relevant and Interactive through Technology, and is the brainchild of Gay and Bill Krause. The MERIT program is a year long program with a 2 week, intensive summer institute. This year, I facilitated a mini design challenge on “Re-inventing your Classroom” from traditional school materials. Here’s the slide deck with additional resources at the end. We started with a couple of super silly prototyping warm-ups to get pumped up to Moonshot with our thinking.
Some ideas generated from the 50 teachers who took the challenge are:
- Painting a file cabinet green to make a green screen for claymation projects.
- Turning the teachers desk into a collaboration station on casters
- Re-inventing the overhead projector cart into a mobile maker cart
- Unhitching the tablets from old desks and painting them with idea paint
- Turning a file cabinet into a mobile maker cart painted with chalkboard paint
Supplies needed: casters, green paint, chalk board paint, plastic bins, markers, an imagination and focus on fostering creativity with students.
What creative ways have you re-invented your space with traditional school materials?